I’ve been in a weird mood the past week. Maybe it’s being back at work, or it could be the cold / allergies that I’m battling. For whatever reason, I just haven’t been feeling inspired to blog. But then yesterday I finally started to get excited about blogging. Then I debated on whether or not to do this post since we’re already into the second week of the year. But, I get asked tons of questions about skincare, so I figured better late than never. Here’s my roundup of the best skincare products of 2017. Hope you enjoy!
best cleansers of 2017
1. Kate Somerville Exfoliate Cleanser. I know that I’ve mentioned this before but if you’re looking for a gentle, daily exfoliator, this is it. It’s not drying or harsh and there’s nothing abrasive about it. I like to use this if my skin is looking blah (it happens!) or right before doing a mask so that the mask can really do its job. Love this stuff.
2. Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser. I will always keep this cleanser in my bathroom. It’s gentle but effective. Plus it smells like roses. I love that it’s gentle on the eyes and doesn’t dry my skin at all. I’ll use this in the morning (if I don’t use my Pixi Glow Tonic) or at night (after an oil cleanser if I had makeup on).
3. Kate Somerville Eradikate Daily Cleanser. If I’m being extra good, I’ll use this as a preventative measure for hormonal acne (I’m usually not). Even when it’s not used as a preventative measure, this cleanser definitely helps to speed up the healing process when I have acne.
best toners of 2017
4. Son & Park Beauty Water. This is a great multi-tasker. You can use it to remove your makeup at the end of the day, or you can use it in the morning. It’s cleansing, lightly exfoliating and hydrating. It’s also really nice to prep your skin before makeup.
5. Bioderma Sensibio. I’ve mentioned this a few times this year (a review here and in this empties post). I love this because it just works. It will totally clean your face (except for waterproof mascara) and it won’t dry your skin. You might be noticing a trend by now, but I just can’t stand it when a product dries out my skin.
6. Pixi Glow Tonic. I think I’ve been using this off and on for a few years, but I just recently decided it’s going to be a staple in my skincare routine. I talked about it in this video on my morning skincare, and still I’m hooked. It really helps make my skin glow and I think it helps prevent breakouts because my pores are less congested.
best serums of 2017
7. Ordinary Buffet. I first mentioned this in my Ordinary skincare review video and I still like it! It’s very hydrating and plumping and is supposed to target signs of aging. It also plays very nicely with other skincare goodies.
8. Glossier Super Bounce. If your need to add moisture to your skin, this is the best one (IMO). It’s made of hyaluronic acid, which binds water to the skin. The best part is that it’s totally weightless. It just sinks right into your skin with no heaviness, no stickiness, no nothing. It’s wonderful.
9. Glossier Super Pure. This is my go-to acne fighting serum. The active ingredients are zinc and niacinamide, so this serum helps with breakouts and redness. Because it’s gentle, I’ll use this everyday, even if I don’t have any breakouts. I really think this is one of the reasons why my skin rarely breaks out (genetics being another reason). I always have this plus a backup on hand because it works and I’m a hoarder.
best moisturizers of 2017
10. Glossier Priming Moisturizer. My perfect everyday moisturizer. I use it day and night and just love it. It’s hydrating but not overly rich. If I want more moisture, I can just layer on a serum or oil (or both 😉 ). This is another one of my staple products and I highly recommend it.
11. Farmacy Sleep Tight Firming Night Balm. A newcomer to the winner’s circle. This balm melts into an oil and feels so luxe on the skin. It hydrates, tones the skin and reduces redness over night. I put this one when I want to pamper my skin (so nearly every night). Check it out if winter is taking its toll on your skin.
best oils of 2017
12. Linné Balance Face Oil. I picked this up on a whim last summer in New York. It actually took me a little while to try it out because I can only put so many different things on my face. Once I finally did, I was hooked. It somehow manages to strike that perfect balance between glowy and too much shine. It balances my skin and my foundation just glides right over it.
13. Eminence Rosehip Triple C + E Firming Oil. I like to keep this in my nightstand as a skincare topper if my skin feels dry. I realize how extra that sounds and I don’t care. This oil makes my skin glow (thanks to the vitamin c).
best masks of 2017
14. Kaike Marshmallow Mask + Scrub. Clay masks are party of my weekly regimen. They really do help clear out your pores, but the trouble is sometimes they’re super drying. This one isn’t. I go into more detail in this post, but trust me, it’s a good one.
15. Origins Out Of Trouble Mask. This is the best acne treatment mask that I’ve tried. I’ll just dab it on any spots (rather than covering my whole face). When I use this, my breakouts clear up really quickly, so I’ll always keep this on hand.
16. Glossier Invisible Shield. I know, I know, another Glossier product (and there’s one more coming up). I use this every single day and will always wear this one. Definitely the best sunscreen I’ve tried, and I’ve tried a lot.
17. Glossier Body Hero Daily Oil Wash. So I didn’t really talk about this when it came out last year, but I love it. I’ve never used a body oil wash, so I can’t compare it to others. I can say that this is so luxurious. It’s hydrating and smells divine. Use it with a loofah or a konjac sponge to get the most mileage.
here are some late comers that I discovered late in 2017 but couldn’t leave off the list…
- The Ordinary Salicylic Acid. My skin responds really well to salicylic acid for treating acne, and I really like this serum. You can use it just to spot treat pimples, or you can use it all over as an exfoliating serum.
- Farmacy Honey Drop Moisturizer. I know I said that the Glossier Priming Moisturizer is my forever love, but this might be my side piece. It’s a really great moisturizer. Light but hydrating.
- Mullein & Sparrow Primrose Oil. This is another oil that’s great for balancing the skin. It hydrates but will help control sebum production.
- Mullein & Sparrow Rosemary & Clary Sage Facial Serum. Another great product for combination skin. It’s lighter than the Primrose Oil so it’s great for daily use to balance your skin.
Also, I noticed I don’t really have an anti-aging item on this list. And that’s kinda scary. I tried some things that I like – the Ordinary Retinol Serum + Kiehl’s Powerful Strength Line Reducing Concentrate – but nothing that really wowed me. I know that I should be using a retinol at my age, so I’ll be figuring out something new to try ASAP and I’ll keep you guys posted.